Hölderlinturm in Tübingen is named after the famous poet who lived there from 1807 until his death in 1843. The building was changed extensively since his days and he was not in fact confined to the tiny, yet picturesque tower that has become one of Tübingen’s landmarks.
Construction of Tübingen’s Historic Town Hall began in 1435 and it was expanded several times over the years. Between 1471 and 1805 it was the seat of the palace court of Württemberg. The beautifuly painted facade that was added in 1877 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Tübingen’s university was renovated comprehensively in 2016.
Hohentübingen Palace is close to the center of Tübingen and yet removed high on its hill. Mentioned for the first time in 1038 it was expanded in the 16th century and by the 18th century gradually handed over to the ever growing university.
Its architecture combines features of a medieval castle, modern palace as well as military fortress.
Today the MUT museum of the University of Tübingen displays its many teaching exhibitions in the palace.
Bebenhausen Monastery was a Cistercian monastery in the village of Bebenhausen just outside the city limits of today’s Tübingen. After the Protestant Reformation it was used as a monastic school, hunting residence to the kings of Württemberg and shortly as the seat of the state parliament of newly created Württemberg-Hohenzollern right after World War II.
Paul-Horn-Arena is a multipurpose hall in Tübingen designed for sports events and physical education. It seats 3,180 and is used by local basketball team Walter Tigers for their home games.
Tübingen’s Collegiate Church, as it stands today, was built from 1470 until 1490 by Duke Eberhard. Construction was prompted by the relocation of canons from nearby Sindelfingen and the establishment of Tübingen University. During construction the funds ran out which is why the bell tower was finished shorter than originally planned.
Hohenzollern Castle is the seat of the Prussian kings and princes of Hohenzollern. It sits high above the town of Hechingen just a short drive from Tübingen. The majestic castle looks like it’s straight from the Middle Ages but it was actually built in the 1850s on the then long abandoned ruins of the Hohenzollern’s ancestral seat.
Outletcity Metzingen is comprised of more than 60 stores and it made the little town of Metzingen popular across all of Germany and even beyond its borders. Many visitors of Tübingen or the greater Stuttgart area take the time to visit the edge of the Swabian Jura and go on a shopping spree.